Let Us Help You Find the Best Carry On Suitcase on the Market
Whether you’re packing light or planning a short trip, a carry-on suitcase is just the right size to fit all your belongings and be placed inside the overhead compartment on planes.
Travelpro Maxlite 4 Expandable Rollaboard 22 inch Suitcase
Our favorite for 2017
US Traveler Rio Two Piece Expandable Carry-On Luggage Set
A very close runner-up
Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 Hardside Spinner HS 22
A great case from Samsonite
But just like with any other piece of luggage, it’s important to make sure you choose a durable, high-quality model that can withstand the rigors of travel.
When comparing models, keep the following points in mind:
- Size: Airlines have restrictions on carry-on bag sizes, so it’s important to make sure the suitcase you’re considering is the right size. Most cases designed to be carry-ons are under 22″ in height to make sure they meet most airline requirements. It’s always better to go with a smaller suitcase than take the chance that the larger model won’t be accepted as a carry-on.
- Material: Consider the suitcase’s material. Some bags feature a polyester exterior, while others feature a hard polycarbonate design. Determine which material is the best fit for your travel needs. A hard-case may be the best option if you travel often and with connecting flights.
- Wheels: Nearly all modern suitcases have wheels built into the bottom of the case. But not all wheels are spinner Spinner wheels allow you to move the case in any direction, which makes it easy to move through the airport.
We know how stressful and difficult it can be to find a suitcase that meets your travel needs without falling apart after two trips. We’re going to review and share some of the top carry-on suitcases on the market, so you can find the right bag for you.
The Best Travel Bag Reviews for 2017
Travelpro Maxlite 4 – The Travelpro Maxlite 4 is an expandable rolling suitcase that’s just the right size for a carry-on bag. Available in three colors (black, blue and purple), this case is highly durable and offers plenty of space for your belongings.
The Maxlite 4 is made from 100% polyester and features high performance, ball-bearing wheels. A telescoping handle makes it easy to cart this suitcase around the airport and can be stopped at either 38″ or 42.5″ to suit your height.
The interior features a full-size lid compartment, which is ideal for packing pressed shirts. Adjustable hold-down straps make it easy to keep your clothing neatly in place, and side mesh pockets give you more room to store your essentials.
Offering an expandable design, the Maxlite 4 is a great option for anyone wanting a durable carry-on bag.
U.S. Traveler Rio 2-Piece Luggage Set – The Rio 2-piece luggage set from U.S. Traveler is a great option for travelers who need more than one suitcase. The set includes a 22″ standard suitcase and a travel tote.
Constructed with 1200D polyester, both luggage pieces are highly durable. The EVA padded front panel adds to the durability of these bags.
The case and travel tote both offer multiple zippered pockets in the front to store last-minute or essential items. The large case also features a piggy-bag strap, so you can store the tote on top of the case.
A retractable handle system makes it easy to lug this suitcase around, while the top, side and bottom handles allow you to carry or lift the suitcase with ease.
A fully-lined interior offers tie-down straps and a zippered mesh pocket for added storage space.
Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 – The Silhouette Sphere 2 from Samsonite is a hard suitcase that offers extreme durability and comes in three colors: green, black, and blue.
Standing 21″ high, this suitcase features multi-directional spherical spinner wheels that allow for easy mobility. The upright rolling design of the luggage takes the weight off your arms and shoulders, and the angled carry-on taper allows the case to fit perfectly in the overhead bin.
The exterior of the case is made from 100% polycarbonate, and the gel-infused, TPR-coated handle is ergonomically designed for a comfortable grip.
The interior of the luggage features mesh and modesty pockets as well as a wetpak to keep your belongings organized.
If you’re looking for a hard suitcase, the Silhouette Sphere 2 is the best polycarbonate luggage in this price range.
SwissGear Travel Gear Spinner – SwissGear’s Travel Gear spinner suitcase stands 21.5″ tall, and features a durable polyester exterior that resists tearing and scuffing. With 360-degree spinning wheels and a locking telescoping handle, this case is easy to move around the airport.
The interior of the case features a large zippered mesh pocket to store essentials, and a garment strap keeps your clothing in place as you travel. The front zippered pockets offer more room to store your belongings.
The Travel Gear case comes in two colors: Teal/Black and Blue/Black.
Offering plenty of space, this suitcase is an excellent choice for business travelers.
Delsey Luggage Helium Aero Spinner Trolley – The Helium Aero spinner suitcase is another hard-case option, and this model comes in five colors: Titanium, Red, Cobalt Blue, Purple and Teal. Standing at just 19″ tall, this case easily fits inside overhead compartments.
The Helium Aero comes equipped with TSA locks, which only allows TSA agents to open your bag during inspections. Double spinner wheels are built into the bottom of the case, which take the weight off your shoulders and allow for easy maneuverability.
The interior of the case features large, fully-lined compartments. The hard-side of the case has a 50/50 split opening that has two compartments. The soft-side features a single large compartment and two zippered pockets. Garment straps help keep your clothing neatly in place.
The main compartment also expands to accommodate heavier packers.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right 22 Inch Carry On Bag for You
When searching for carry-on bags, you’ll find an overwhelming number of options in stores and online. With hundreds of cases to choose from, it can be hard to find the right one. We’ve shared five of the top models, but how do you narrow these choices down to a single suitcase?
Here are some tips on how to choose the right bag:
- Interior Packing Space: What does the packing space look like? Does the bag have zippered pockets or garment straps? Are there multiple compartments? The Helium Aero, for example, has a split opening on the hard-side with two compartments. The Swiss Gear Bag, on the other hand, has just one main compartment and a zippered pocket under the lid. Determine which type of packing space you prefer, and opt for a bag that meets those needs.
- Exterior Pockets: How many exterior pockets (if any) does the bag have? These extra pockets provide you with more room to store your items and puts them right within easy reach. Hard-case suitcases typically don’t offer these extra pockets, so if this feature is important to you, you may need to go with a soft-side case.
- Color: The color of the luggage is another thing to consider. Some models come in unique colors that make the suitcase easy to spot at luggage pick-up. Having colors to choose from also allows you to find a case that suits your own unique personality.
- Price: Finally, you’ll need to consider the cost of the suitcase. Quality bags are worth the higher cost, but that doesn’t mean you have to buy the most expensive model you can find. Set a budget, and choose the best quality case that you can afford.