Our Guide to The Top Luggage Brands After 2016
The best suitcase brands earn their reputation by offering high-quality, durable products that travelers can be confident in when they travel. Luggage needs to remain durable through all vacation demands.
Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner 28
Our favorite for 2017
Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds 28″ 4 Wheel Upright
A very close runner-up
Delsey Luggage Helium Aero 29 Inch Expandable Spinner Trolley
A great case from Delsey
If a piece of luggage breaks the moment a person goes to check-in, the brand will tarnish their name.
The top luggage brands of 2017 include:
- Kenneth Cole
- Traveler’s Choice
And this list is in no particular order. All of these brands are exceptional.
Before you start packing your travel necessities, you need to ensure that your luggage can meet your demands. We’ve researched a few cases below that we deem exceptional in quality, but you need to compare them based on your needs. Here are some things to consider:
- Wheels: Does the suitcase come with wheels? Spinner wheels allow for ease of movement and transport, while fixed wheels make it more difficult to maneuver a suitcase through an airport.
- Cross-straps: If you pack on the heavy side, a suitcase that offers cross-straps and a flex material as the exterior will allow you to jam more clothes and items in the suitcase. Cross-straps also keep items from moving around and getting jumbled in the suitcase.
- TSA Locks: The TSA may need to look through your luggage during an airport security check. If you must go through a security screening, your locks will be cut unless they’re TSA locks that have a universal key to open the lock.
Every suitcase and brand has its own benefits, so make your choice based on the features you need and must-have during your travels.
Reviews of Our Favorite Cases From The Top Brands
Samsonite Omni PC 28-Inch Spinner – Samsonite’s Omni PC comes in 11 unique colors and spans 28.5” in length. The case’s width is 20.5” and the height is 13.5”. Manufactured with 100% polycarbonate, this suitcase has a nylon lining and zipper closures to offer maximum security.
The exterior is scratch-resistant, while the lightweight spinner wheels allow for maximum mobility.
Expansion on all sides is offered along with cross-straps, a divider and full-zip interior. This is a great all-around piece of luggage that also features a side-mounted TSA lock. Travelers in the United States will appreciate the TSA lock feature.
The weight of the suitcase is 10.45 pounds.
Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds – Reaction is a Kenneth Cole creation that comes in 7 unique color options and offers a stylish, innovative design. The suitcase is designed with 95% ABS and 5% hardware, and can be hand washed.
The suitcase has an ABS exterior with reinforced, molded corners that allow for maximum impact resistance.
The suitcase is 17.58” high and 28” wide. The interior is fully lined with garment restraints and a zipper pocket. The lid has a U-shaped pocket, too. A retractable lock handle system is used in the design of the suitcase as well as four wheels for easy transport.
The length of the suitcase is 11.2.”
Delsey Luggage Helium Aero Expandable Spinner Trolley – Delsey offers the Helium Aero, which is an expandable spinner trolley offered in 7 unique color options. This luggage is manufactured with 100% polycarbonate and has a nylon lining and zipper closure. The suitcase sits 29” high, and the exterior is highly resistant to cracking.
Double spinner wheels allow for zero weight placed on the arms and easy transport.
When space is tight, this suitcase expands up to 2” for additional packing room. If you plan to buy souvenirs or other items during your travel, the expanding option is priceless. The handle locks in two positions, and there are two fully-lined compartments present.
Web straps and a divider help keep clothes neat and wrinkle-free.
Nautica Ahoy 28″ Hardside Spinner – Nautica’s Ahoy is a hardside spinner that’s manufactured with 100% ABS. The suitcase’s height is 28” with a width of 11.25”. The length of the Ahoy is 20”. A textile lining is featured along with a zipper closure and a retractable handle.
The four wheels are all spinners to allow for easy mobility through hectic airports.
A telescoping handle allows for push-button locking, while the fully-lined interior has velvet straps and two mesh pockets to keep smaller items safe and secure. The weight of the suitcase is 11 pounds, allowing you to pack more items.
There is also a TSA approved lock incorporated into the suitcase’s design.
Traveler’s Choice 28″ Hardside – Traveler’s Choice offers a hardside suitcase in three unique color options. This suitcase is designed with 100% ABS and features a scratch-resistant finish. The shell of the suitcase is designed to absorb impact through “flexing.”
An aluminum, telescopic handle system with push buttons ensures users have the ideal handle height to reduce strain on the back and upper body.
The four lightweight spinner wheels make moving the suitcase effortless. The suitcase’s dimensions are 12.5” x 28” x 19”. This is a practical choice for travelers due to its lightweight and durable design.
The interior features mesh and zippered pockets as well as straps to keep clothes in place and secure.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Luggage for You
What’s the right suitcase to choose? This is a difficult question to answer. There’s a lot that goes into the “perfect” suitcase, and a lot of the decisions are preferential. Luggage reviews should be part of your shopping experience.
You’ll also want to consider:
- Size: The size of the suitcase is very important. Pay attention to the standard sizes for carry-on luggage if you want to use a suitcase for carry-on purposes. Airlines are very strict, and even 1” difference in size will result in you paying to bring your belongings along for the ride.
- Reviews: Research what others experience with their suitcase. If a suitcase breaks easily or the interior lining rips, it’s not a good option. Always read reviews to ensure that you’re making a smart purchasing decision.
- Warranty: What type of warranty is offered? Suitcases go through a lot of abuse when they go on conveyor belts and are handled by airline agents. A warranty safeguards you from having to purchase new luggage if your luggage breaks due to defect.
- Weight: The weight of the luggage is important, too. If a piece of luggage is too heavy without clothes and other personal belongings, this means you’ll be forced to carry fewer items during your trip. And you may not have the space needed for items you purchase during your trip.
The right luggage for you is available as long as you do your research beforehand. Ample pockets, transport wheels and zippered enclosures allow you to make the most out of your suitcase during a trip.