Let Us Help You Find The Best Hard Luggage On The Market
Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, halfway across the world or across the city, hard luggage ensures that your belongings make it to your destination in one piece. With most cases offering a polycarbonate or ABS construction, hard cases are resistant to breakage and cracking.
Delsey Luggage Helium Aero 25 Inch Expandable Spinner Trolley
Our favorite for 2017
Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds
A very close runner-up
Nautica Ahoy 28 Inch Hardside Spinner
A great hard side spinner
Quality, durable luggage isn’t easy to find. We’re going to share some of the best models on the market to help you find the right one for your trip. Here are some things to keep in mind when comparing models:
- Size: The size of the suitcase is one of the most important things to consider when shopping for luggage. The right size for you will depend on your packing habits and the length of your stay. Make sure the cases you’re considering have enough space to store your items. Consider carry-on size restrictions as well if you’re looking for a carry-on case.
- Material: Hard case luggage is typically made from ABS or polycarbonate, two highly durable materials. Polycarbonate is the preferred option if you want a smooth, shiny case.
- Wheels: Most hard luggage have four spinning wheels, which allow you to easily move in any direction. The spinning design also takes the weight off your arms, which minimizes fatigue when you’re traveling through large, busy airports.
- Expandable: If you plan on bringing home souvenirs or pack heavy, you may prefer a suitcase that offers an expandable design. Expandable cases typically add a few extra inches of packing space. Most modern suitcases offer an expandable design, but double check to make sure before purchasing.
Top Durable Luggage Reviews for 2017
Delsey Helium Aero – The Delsey Helium Aero is an expandable spinner trolley suitcase made from 100% polycarbonate. With a zipper closure and fabric interior, this case offers durability and the same convenient interior you’re used to with soft suitcases.
The lightweight case is 25″ tall, and is highly resistant to breaking or cracking.
The Helium Aero comes in several colors, including: brick red, cobalt blue, titanium, brush charcoal, emerald green, purple and teal.
Double-spinner wheels keep weight off your arms, while the TSA-accepted lock allows only TSA agents to open your luggage for inspection. All storage compartments are fully lined, and the main compartment expands to allow for more room for your items.
Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds – Kenneth Cole’s Reaction Out of Bounds is constructed with 95% Abs and 5% Hardware for an exceptionally durable suitcase. Standing 12.5″ tall and 20″ wide, this case meets most carry-on requirements.
The fully lined interior offers garment restraints and zipper pockets, so you can keep your items organized. The lid also features a zippered pocket for extra storage space.
Featuring four wheels, this case is easily rolled in any direction you choose, and the locking retractable handle system allows you to switch between a roller and carry suitcase.
If you’re looking for a durable suitcase that still provides you with convenient pocketed storage space, the Out of Bounds case is a great choice.
Nautica Ahoy 28″ – Offering a minimalistic design, the Nautica Ahoy suitcase is 28″ tall, and comes in five colors: navy, yellow, orange, grey and white. The contrasting zipper color adds character while making your suitcase more noticeable on the luggage carousel.
Made with 100% ABS, this case is extremely durable and features a 4-wheel spinner system for 360-degree rolling.
The case stands 28″ tall and 20″ wide, and trolley handles feature a push-button locking system for added safety and convenience.
The fully-lined interior offers a safe place to store your items. The valet straps and dual mesh pockets offer extra storage space and help keep your items organized.
Delsey Luggage 29″ Helium Aero – The 29″ Helium Aero from Delsey Luggage is similar to the previous case we reviewed earlier, but is four inches taller. Available in multiple colors, you’re sure to find a case that suits your personality.
The Helium Aero is made with 100% polycarbonate and features a zipper closure with a nylon lining. The polycarbonate is highly resilient to breaking and cracking, and features a metallic finish.
Double spinner wheels allow for easy maneuverability and keep the weight off your arms. The zippered closure also allows for up to two extra inches of packing space.
The handle system has two locking positions for convenience, and the interior features two lined compartments with several pockets to keep your belongings organized.
Samsonite Luggage Winfield 2 – The Samsonite Luggage Winfield 2 comes in a nearly a dozen different colors, and features a 100% polycarbonate exterior.
Fabric lining and a zipper enclosure allow your items to be safely and neatly stored. The interior also features a zippered divider with pockets for storage. A side-mounted TSA lock allows only TSA agents into your luggage for inspection.
The case also offers an extendable design to add to the packing capacity.
The brushstroke coloration gives the Winfield 2 a distinguished, unique look. The four spinning wheels allow for easy maneuverability while keeping the weight off your arms.
If you’re looking for a stylish case that offers plenty of interior packing space, the Winfield 2 is a great choice.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Hard Case Luggage for You
If you travel often, especially overseas, you need the most durable suitcase to ensure that your belongings get to your destination intact. The longer the flight and the more stops you make, the greater the chances of your luggage being damaged in the journey.
How do you determine which hard case luggage is the best choice for you?
- Pockets and Straps: To keep your items organized and neat, opt for suitcases that offer pockets and garment straps. Garment straps keep your clothing items neatly in place, so they don’t get strewn around in transport. Pockets provide additional storage for your essentials, and keep your items neatly separated. Ideally, you want a case with zippered pockets.
- TSA Locks: Many new suitcases come equipped with TSA locks. These locks ensure that only TSA agents can open your luggage for inspection and are a convenient way to keep your belongings secure.
- Color: The color of the suitcase won’t affect its performance, but it will reflect your personality and may even make it easier to find your suitcase on the luggage carousel. Hard case luggage comes in a variety of colors – many of them bright – so you’re sure to find one that matches your personal taste. From teal to black, grey and purple, a rainbow of colors is available.
- Cost: The cost of the luggage is another important consideration. Hard case luggage is often more expensive than its soft case counterpart, but its high durability makes it worth the cost. Still, it’s important to set a budget and stick to it when buying luggage. Costs can range anywhere from $50 to $200 or more for a single case.