Looking for Sturdy Luggage for A Long Trip? Let Our Guide Help You
International travel demands higher quality luggage. The most durable luggage is recommended for international travel because luggage is put on conveyor belts, and it’s handled roughly by personnel.
Travelpro Crew 10 29 Inch Expandable Spinner Suiter
Our favorite for 2017
Travelpro Maxlite 3 International Expandable Carry-On Spinner
A very close runner-up
Travelpro Crew 10 25 Inch Expandable Spinner Suiter
A great spinner option
Carry-on bags, in comparison, are handled by you, so there’s less of a risk of damage.
You also need to consider the luggage’s locking mechanism and any protective features offered. When comparing different types of suitcases, it’s important to consider:
- Wheels: Spinner luggage, or luggage with wheels, is ideal when going on international travel because airports are big. The right wheels will allow you to save a lot of arm strain when walking around the airport. Patented systems, as seen below, can help the wheels stay aligned and make them easier to control.
- Pockets: Don’t underestimate the benefit of pockets (interior and exterior). Electronics and other sensitive items that may break when jostled are best placed in pockets. Zippered and snap pockets are preferred.
- Straps: Adjustable straps in the interior of the unit are preferred. These straps allow you to tie-down your precious cargo to keep items secure and safe. If you don’t have straps, your luggage will be strewn around your suitcase, especially after sorting.
We’ve researched the top suitcases for international travel below to help speed up your decision.
You’ll want to keep the points above in mind when making your choice. We’ve also provided a few more tips to help you choose the right suitcase below. If there’s one thing we’ve learned through years of travel, it’s that you need to buy a quality suitcase if you don’t want breakage.
Reviews of Sturdy Luggage for International Travelers
Travelpro Crew 10 29 Inch Expandable Spinner Suiter – Travelpro’s Crew 10 is an expandable, spinner suitcase that’s made with 100% nylon and sits 29” high. A patent-pending design utilizes state-of-the-art magnetron technology to ensure the suitcase rolls straight.
A contour grip design allows for comfortable, easy control of this suitcase.
This is “the” luggage for travelers. The grip can be extended for tall users. Lightweight and durable, this product’s interior tie-down straps allow luggage to be tied down securely inside the unit.
The full dimensions of this suitcase are 29” x 20” x 12.5”. Two large, zippered pockets are found inside of the suitcase, too, to secure valuables and delicate items that may break if jostled.
Travelpro Maxlite3 International Carry-On Spinner – The Maxlife3 is a carry-on suitcase that’s made with 100% polyester. Offered in black, grey and blue, this suitcase also offers a polyester lining. A redesigned grip allows for an adjustable handle and maximum comfort with extended use.
A sewn-on handle is present, too, which helps the user when placing the luggage in the overhead storage area.
Four wheel spinners are on the bottom of the luggage and offer 360-degree pivots for easy maneuverability. Airline-grade aluminum is used on the handle, with a 38” and 42.5” locking position offered.
Inside of the suitcase, there’s a full-length interior pocket, side pockets and adjustable straps to hold your luggage in place.
The dimensions of this carry-on are 20” x 14” x 9.5”.
Travelpro Crew 10 Expandable Spinner Suiter (25″) – Crew 10 offers another model in their lineup: a 25” model (slightly smaller than the 29” model listed above). The 25” height is perfect for light luggage, and a black or red design is offered. The unit is made from 100% nylon, and there is nylon lining in the interior.
Zipper closure allows for maximum luggage securing, and there are two exterior zippered pockets to keep items safe.
Magnetron wheels keep the unit’s spinner wheels aligned to make transport fast. The handle features a power scope extension and contour grip to allow users of all heights to use the suitcase comfortably.
Customizable interior tie-down straps keep all your personal items in place even during turbulence and suitcase sorting.
The unit’s dimensions are 13.5” x 14” x 25’.
Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 21 Inch Express Spinner Suiter – The Platinum Magna is made from 100% nylon, and it’s an express spinner model. Wheel spinner utilizes self-aligning magnetic technology to keep the suitcase moving in a straight line when wheeled behind the user.
PowerScope aluminum is used on the extension handle, and there are three locking positions: 38”, 40” and 42.5”.
Side carry handles make placing this suitcase on a scale a breeze, and the top features leather. DuraGuard coating and high density ballistic nylon fabric keep the suitcase from damage. Numerous zippered pockets are found inside of the suitcase along with adjustable straps.
This unit’s dimensions are 21” x 14” x 9”, and the unit weighs just 11.5 pounds.
Travelpro Tpro Bold 2.0 28 Inch Expandable Rollaboard – The Tpro Bold 2.0 is a sturdy and durable suitcase. This model features a 100% polyester design and has polyester lining to protect the shell of the suitcase. Zipper closures allow for items to be stored securely.
There’s a small pouch on the front exterior of the suitcase as well as two zippered compartments to hold books, socks and other items.
The suitcase exterior is water repellent, and the height is 12” with a width of 17.5”. A hidden back pocket allows for keys and other items to be stored, too. Higher performance bearings are used in the wheels to allow for a smooth roll through the airport.
The handle system uses aircraft-grade aluminum and extends to 38” or 42” for maximum comfort. An interior mesh pocket is present, too.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right International Luggage for You
A high-quality piece of luggage can last a lifetime. The right piece of luggage will be large enough for your needs, and it needs to be able to be transported around the airport with ease and be able to withstand abuse from the sorting department.
When considering that in 2014, 21.8 million pieces of luggage were mishandled, it’s safe to say that you need the right luggage if you want your items to arrive safely.
The good news is that better suitcases and internal protocols are lessening mishandling cases. Rewind back to 2007, and you’ll find that 46.9 million bags were mishandled.
A lot of the reason bags are damaged less often is that they’re built to higher standards. When choosing a suitcase for yourself, you’ll want to consider:
- Size: Everyone wants to know what size luggage to buy, and this is tricky. If you’re using carry-on luggage, you need to make sure that the luggage meets the maximum requirements allowed by an airline. Otherwise, you need to pick a size perfect for you, which is fully dependent on how many items you’re bringing on your trip.
- Handles: An adjustable handle will save your back from unnecessary strain and pain. Pay attention to the handle height, and look to see what locking position heights are offered (there are normally two).
- Material: The material isn’t as important as waterproofing. You may have to stand outside and wait for a cab in the rain, and if your bag’s material isn’t waterproof, your items may get wet and damaged in the process.