Check Out Our Pick of the Best Casual Pants for Men
Every man needs at least two pairs of good casual pants. Whether it’s for work or play, casual pants (not to be confused with jeans) ensure you look well-put-together wherever you go.
Haggar Men’s Cool 18 Hidden Expandable Waist Plain Front Pant
Our favorite for 2017
Lee Men’s Total Freedom Relaxed Classic Fit Flat Front Pant
A very close runner-up
Levi’s Men’s Straight Chino Pant
A great pair of pants from Levis
With dozens of colors, sizes and brands to choose from, it can be difficult to find a pair of quality pants. Keep the following points in mind when comparing your options:
- Style: Different pant styles create different looks. Most casual pants have flat fronts, but some have pleated for a dressier look. Some pants also have wider leg openings than others. Determine which styles you prefer, and narrow down your choices to just those styles.
- Colors: Casual pants come in a wide range of colors, but most are simple variations of neutral colors like khaki, navy, black, olive and gray. Some, like the Levi’s Chino pants below, come in brighter, unique colors. Consider where you’ll wear the pants and what you’ll pair them with. The benefit of choosing neutral colors is that they go with just about anything in your closet. Still, you should consider your skin tone and the colors of the shirts in your closet when choosing colors.
- Sizes: Naturally, you want pants that will fit you properly. Check to make sure the pants you’re considering are available in your size and the color you want. Also, double check to make sure that the pants fit true to size. Most brands will include a size chart, so you can ensure that you’re choosing a pair that fits you properly. You may need to take your measurements if you haven’t done so already.
Reviews – The Best Lightweight Travel Pants for 2017
Haggar Cool 18 Gabardine Pants – Haggar Cool 18 Gabardine pants are casual enough to be comfortable yet dressy enough for a night out on the town. Made with 100% polyester, these pants come in more than a dozen colors and sizes.
Featuring an expandable waist, these pants have a plain front and are machine washable for added convenience. Men who are always on the go will appreciate the no-iron design.
Haggar’s Cool 18 line uses advanced fabric technology to create pants that wick away moisture, resist wrinkles and resist static. The breathable fabric makes these pants comfortable to wear even on the hottest of days.
Lee Total Freedom Relaxed Flat Front Pant – Featuring a blend of 75% Repreve polyester and 25% cotton, the Lee Total Freedom relaxed pant is comfortable and resistant to wrinkles. These casual pants come in seven colors and dozens of sizes.
A machine-washable and no-iron design makes these pants the ideal choice for men who are always traveling or have a busy work schedule.
The Total Freedom pants are also stain-resistant, so they’re extremely easy to care for.
Side-seam pockets provide you with a convenient place to store your essentials, while the buttoned besom pockets add to the look of these pants.
The flat front keeps these pants casual in style, but still dressy enough for a night out.
Levi’s Straight Chino Twill Pant – Levi’s straight-leg Chino twill pant are casual and comfortable, but still nice enough to wear out on a date or with friends. These pants are available in six colors, including red, navy, gray and khaki.
Machine-washable, these Chino twill pants feature a zipper closure and a 15 1/2″ leg opening. A single welt back pocket and a front slant pocket provide you with a place to hold your essential items.
Levi’s straight Chino pants are wrinkle-resistant and easy to care for, making them a great choice for bachelor’s and men who are always on the go.
Match Men’s Straight Leg Casual Pants – Match Men’s straight leg pants keep you looking sharp without all the fuss that comes with caring for dress pants. Available in more than a dozen colors and sizes, you’re sure to find a color and fit that suits you.
Made with 100% cotton, these pants offer an athletic fit and sit just below the waist. A roomier thigh and seat allow for a more comfortable fit, and the straight leg opening provides a more fitted look.
These pants have two front slant pockets and rear double welt pockets.
Match’s casual pants may run a little large and require hand or cold washing.
Wrangler Authentics Cargo Twill Pants – Available in four colors (olive, British khaki, black and khaki dust) and just about every possible size, the Wrangler Authentics cargo-style twill pants are casual and practical.
Made with 100% cotton, these pants are comfortable and breathable. These flat-front cargo pants feature a straight leg and a relaxed fit.
Staying true to the cargo pant style, flip-patch pockets are built into the sides of the pants. The contoured waistband also allows for a more natural fit. The additional pockets provide you with extra space to store your essentials.
Providing a great fit and comfort level, these pants are ideal for work or play.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Casual Pants for You
Buying pants should be simple, but it rarely is. Fits vary from one brand to another, and they may not have your size in the color you want. The length may be off, or the thighs may be too tight.
Buying pants for men is just as complicated as it is for women.
But there are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing pants to help ensure you choose the best possible pair.
- Material: What type of material is used to make the pants? Cotton is breathable and very comfortable, but you have to watch for shrinking and color fading. Polyester will hold its shape and color, but can sometimes be unbreathable. Find a material that you like best, and choose pants made from that material.
- Fit: Are the pants relaxed fit, athletic, or something in between? If you aren’t a fan of tight-leg pants, consider a relaxed fit. For a more fitted look, athletic or straight leg pants are the best option. Also, some pants are looser in the thighs and bottom. These are a good option for athletic men and men who carry their weight in their lower body.
- Waist: Some casual pants have adjustable waistbands, while others have a standard waist. If your weight fluctuates, you may prefer a pair that offers an adjustable band.
- Price: Finally, consider the cost of the pants. Casual pants are typically very affordable, so you’re sure to find a pair that fits in your budget. Still, some pairs can be in the $50+ range, so set a budget and stick to it.